They say, “It is health that is real wealth”. Have you ever heard about health education? Do you think there is an importance to it? And if you still doubt, we are going to persuade you of this with the reasons below. So, here are 7 main reasons which show how health education is important in our lives:
- 1. Promotion of the healthy lifestyle. Health education builds people`s positive attitudes about health. It is about physical, mental, emotional and social health. Also, it is about how diet and exercise can make you feel better. It teaches people of all ages about how diet and exercise contribute to a healthy lifestyle. And as a result, today sport and healthy habits are extremely trendy.
- 2. Health education motivates youth to improve and maintain their health and encourages positive changes in behavior. It promotes students’ lifestyle through the inculcation of correct health concepts and behavioral patterns, with the ultimate objective of enabling the student to make the best possible choice for his or her optimum health and total well-being. And what can we see today? More and more gyms are opening, nutritionists have more demand and people are trying to lead a healthy lifestyle.
While having bad habits today is really dishonorable, people are trying to give up unhealthy lifestyle. So, health education establishes people’s awareness and encourages them to adopt positive attitudes towards their well-being.
- 3. Health education enhances the quality of life for individuals, families, groups, communities, and nation. Nowadays we can see the increasing number of schools, courses, and literature which provide health education on key health problems that young people may face today. It is really important for children and students to get as much information about health at school, college or university as possible. The good idea is to read more books, watch TV-programs, write essays or college term papers on this topic to improve students` knowledge and build right skills and attitudes towards health. Such practice will help them to make healthy choices and be successful adults.
- 4. Health education is a preventive measure against disease. It makes pupils aware of their health problems and needs of the time. And its instruction helps students learn skills they will use to make right choices throughout their lifetime. The effective curriculum of the health education program results in positive changes in behavior that lower student risks of being addicted to alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs, it prevents injuries, mental and emotional disorders, nutrition disorders, physical traumas.
- 5. Health education reduces premature deaths. As it lowers the risk of addiction to drugs, alcohol, unsafe sexual practices and other unhealthy behaviors, it plays illness prevention role as health education helps to save lives. Statistics show us horrible numbers of deaths because of diseases, and at the same time, health education can change the situation by telling and showing how to avoid some illnesses.
- 6. Health education has an influence on the economic situation. By focusing on prevention, health education reduces the costs (both financial and human) that individuals, employers, families, insurance companies, medical facilities, communities, the state and the nation would spend on medical treatment. Have you ever thought that health education can improve the economic situation of your country? Fantastic, doesn’t it?
- 7. Health education promotes studying other subjects. One study showed that in general, healthy students learn better as they have better attendance, higher grades, and perform much better during college tests. They say reading and math scores of third and fourth-grade students who received comprehensive health education were significantly higher than those who did not. Numerous studies have shown that healthier students tend to do better in school.
Jeremy Raynolds is a freelance writer for http://eduzaurus.com/. He is fond of writing interesting stories and helpful content, especially for students.”