Statement jewelry is a trend you’re sure to come across in abundance if you leaf through any fashion magazine, keep up with the seasonal runways or take a glance at the leading Instagram fashionistas. Though making bold statements via jewelry is nothing truly new, 2018 has seen a major rise in eye-catching adornments. If you’ve been wanting to try your hand at wearing statement jewelry, you’re in good company. And if you’re not sure how on earth to actually style it, you’re not alone there, either. Whether you choose a necklace, bracelet, cuff, ring or earrings (or a mixture thereof), we’ve got you covered with the best tips on how to wear statement jewelry- without letting it wear you.
- Stick to one or two statement pieces at a time. Too many bold pieces can be distracting and tend to take away from the overall statement of the outfit. Yes, the point of statement jewelry is to be expressive and stand out, but too many statements can result in overkill and make you run the risk of looking (gasp!) potentially tacky. Keep it classy by choosing a maximum of two statement pieces, and don’t wear them in close proximity to each other. For example, select a statement necklace and a cuff or ring instead of wearing a statement necklace and earrings together, or a statement ring with a statement cuff- too much in the same area adds up to way too much clutter. We think it’s a good idea to choose one really cool, very striking statement piece and keep the rest of your jewelry either non-existent or very minimal. If you do wish to wear more than one statement piece at a time, be sure the jewelry coordinates- choose similar shades, textures, and materials for a balanced look.
- Let your statement jewelry shine with minimalistic jewellery. Much like too much statement jewelry can create a tacky distraction, so can wearing it with too much pattern or color. This is a time to let your jewelry take the center stage position it deserves. Scaling your outfit back can be instrumental in the overall impact of your statement jewelry. Consider steering clear of stripes, florals and a ton of color. Keep your clothing classic and sleek- clean lines and a monochromatic color scheme work wonders to support statement jewelry. Try shopping for vintage jewelry pieces and pair with linen, satin, lace, silk, and chiffon in creams and dusty roses look amazing. If you’re looking for an edgier look, chains and studs pair perfectly with leather, mesh and deeper, darker palettes. Regardless of your style, keep your clothing as simple as possible when wearing statement jewelry. And remember, simple doesn’t mean boring, so use your imagination and create the perfect outfit to surround your expressive adornments!
- Line it up. Be sure your neckline aligns with your statement necklace and that your sleeves are the right length to show off your ring or bracelet. A neckline that interferes with a necklace or a sleeve that doesn’t give a ring or bracelet enough space simply looks messy. Make sure your necklace clears the neckline by at least an inch or two, and wear sleeves that allow your cuff, bracelet or ring to stay in full view. We suggest a strapless, v-neck, plunging neckline, off-the-shoulder or scoop neck top or dress for maximum statement necklace impact, and sleeveless or short sleeves to maximize statements on the wrist or fingers. After all, you’re wearing statement jewelry for a reason – to make your statement clear!
- Coordinate styles. Wearing a soft, romantic outfit? Opt for gold or silver in leaf shapes or chunky florals to match the feminine vibe. Wearing an edgy look with a modern rebel edge? Leather and chains lend themselves well to that type of look. Finish off a billowing maxi dress with a gold cuff or extra long chandelier earrings for a polished ensemble.
- Pay attention to the surrounding area. Wearing a statement ring, cuff, or several bangles? This calls attention your hands and arms, so keep both soft and smooth with lotion and maybe even some shimmer cream for extra sheen, and opt for a clean, classic mani. If you’re wearing a statement necklace, highlight your collarbones and décolletage, and apply your favorite neck cream. The better your skin looks, the better your statement jewelry will look against it. And people will be zeroing in on any place you wear statement jewelry – which is the point- to keep it flawless!
- Finally, match your statement jewelry to your general vibe. The key to wearing statement pieces and not letting them wear you is confidence – if you’re wearing jewelry you’re not comfortable in, it’ll show. So choose pieces that resonate with you, make you feel beautiful, and coordinate with your wardrobe and perhaps even more importantly, your personality.
Follow these tips and we guarantee you’ll be the queen of statement jewelry in no time. Now get out there and make your statement!