Home Healthier Life Best Ways To Increase Your Calcium Level

Best Ways To Increase Your Calcium Level

by Tatiana Plesco

Best Ways To Increase Your Calcium Level, Calcium is a very important mineral that we required to stay strong and healthy. It is necessary for bone and teeth health. It also helps control muscle and nerve system, as well as regulates the acid/alkaline balance (called pH) in the body fluid. Your body comprises more calcium than any other mineral. Almost 99 % of it is stored in your bones and teeth. The other 1 % is present in the blood, muscles and other bodily tissues and fluid.

The amount of calcium you required depends on your age and sex.

  • Here’s the suggested dietary allowance based on age:

  1. Zero to six months – 200 mg/day
  2. Seven to twelve months – 260 mg/day
  3. One to three years – 700 mg/day
  4. Four to eight years – 1,000 mg/day
  5. Nine to eighteen years – 1,300 mg/day
  6. Nineteen to fifty years – 1,000 mg/day
  7. Fifty-one to seventy years – 1,000 mg/day (male), 1,200 mg/day (female)
  8. Seventy-one + years – 1,200 mg/day

A calcium lack can lead to thinning and weakening of the bones and osteoporosis. Other signs of calcium deficiency are muscle spasms, memory loss, despair, numbness and tingling sensations in different body parts like the hands and feet. You can easily correct a calcium insufficiency by making certain variations in your diet and lifestyle. Here are the best ways to increase the calcium level in your body.

  • Eat Calcium-Rich Foods

To increase your calcium intake, the first thing you required to do is include more calcium-rich foods in your diet. Several foods contain a good amount of calcium. Some best choices are:

Eat Calcium-Rich Foods

  1. Skim or non-fat milk
  2. Food products like yogurt and cheese
  3. Dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, turnips and collard greens
  4. Fortified cereals
  5. Fortified orange fluid
  6. Sardines
  7.  Blackstrap Molasses
  8. Soybeans and other soy products

Calcium-fortified foods are also best for increasing calcium level in your body as they have high calcium absorbability. Some of the well-known calcium-fortified nutrients are soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, orange fluid, breakfast cereals and breakfast bars. In fact, 1 cup of calcium-fortified orange fluid or soy milk provides about 300 mg of calcium.

  • Enjoy Early Morning Sunlight

Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium and controls calcium in the blood. You should be getting between 200 IUs (international units) and 400 IUs of vitamin D daily.

Enjoy Early Morning Sunlight

Your body synthesizes vitamin D when exposed to the sun. So, make sure to expose your body to early morning sunshine for 15 minutes (without sunscreen) every day.

Avoid direct sunshine during the peak hours between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Opt for good skin protection when going out in the sun during those hours.

  • Eat Foods Rich in Vitamin D

Moreover, to getting vitamin D from sun exposure, you must also try to eat foods rich in vitamin D. Some of the vitamin D-rich nutrients are fatty fish, fortified milk, fortified cereal, cheese, liver, eggs, butter, cooking oil, shrimp, and oysters. You can also take a vitamin D food after consulting your physician.

  • Eat Magnesium-Rich Foods

It is another nutrient required for calcium absorption. The metabolic rate of both these nutrients is closely related. The intestinal absorption and the renal excretion of these two ions are interdependent.

Eat Magnesium-Rich Foods

Without sufficient magnesium, you can have a calcium deficiency. As your body is not good at storing magnesium, it is necessary to include magnesium-rich foods in your diet. Some of the good sources of magnesium are spinach, Swiss chard, summer squash, turnips, avocados, cucumbers, green beans, whole grains, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, and cashews.

You may also like

slot online