Remember the time when your parents used to scare you by saying, “if you don’t sleep on time, then the monster in the closet will eat you”? How many nights of fun ended early, so many movies and cartoons left in between all because of that one monster in the closet. Well, here is your chance to avenge by eating the monster up. Here I present you the recipe for the scary and delicious cookie monster cake. Jokes aside, the cake looks super amazing and tastes incredibly delicious. Even though the process of making this scrummy and scary cake is a little tricky but here I provide you with a step-by-step recipe for the cake, and I am sure, together, we will create the best tasting monster, so let’s begin.
Servings: Six to Eight delicious slices
Prep time: 35 minutes
Total making time: 2 hours and 55 minutes
The ingredients you will need are:
For the base cake:
- Cooking spray or butter to grease up the baking pan
- One & a half cups of regular or white sugar
- Half cup of vegetable oil, remember just half
- Three large eggs and no, this does not mean six small ones
- One tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- Half cup of sour cream as the monster can not be all sweet
- Two cups of all-purpose flour
- 55 grams of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Two and a half teaspoons of baking powder, well, obviously!
- Half teaspoon of baking soda
- One teaspoon salt
- 355 ml milk, please measure its important
- Twelve crushed Oreo cookies, you are free to choose any other of your choice, but let’s face it, nothing can beat oreo.
- One full packet of crunchy chocolate chips
- Six bars of unsalted butter, preferably softened or melted
- Ten cups of powdered sugar to add that sweet flavour you love into the mix
- ¾ cup of whole milk
- ½ tablespoons of food colouring, I like my monster in the blue colour you can go for whichever colour you want.
- Common kitchen salt
- ¾ cup of heavy cream
- One and a half cups of unsweetened but still crunchy chocolate chips
And lastly, for garnishing:
- Delicious chocolate chip cookies
- Some extra Oreos
- Some liquid chocolate
- And some gems for making the eyes of the monster.
And now that you have gathered all the ingredients let’s get down to it.
- First of all, preheat your oven at 350°F or 176°C; line up two 6 inches of cake pans and grease them up with cooking spray or butter; I would also suggest that you put some flour on the edges.
- Now take a huge mixing bowl, pour vanilla extract, vegetable oil, eggs and sugar into it and mix them up really well. Beat it until the batter is of light colour and eggs and oil are mixed well; next, take some sour cream and start beating again until the batter becomes smooth.
- Then take another bowl, and mix all the dry ingredients such as all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, crushed Oreos and salt, in the said bowl. After they all are mixed properly, add milk into the mixture and start beating. Continue beating at the normal speed until the batter is smooth and you are sure that there are no lumps into it.
- Next, take the greased pans and pour half of both the batters in one bowl and the rest half in the other; the reason is to smoothen out the texture of the cake.
- Now bake the cake in the preheated oven for twenty to twenty-five minutes. To check if the cake is made, take a pin or a toothpick and poke the cake with it; if the pick comes out clean, then it’s done; you can keep it aside to cool down.
- Now, to prepare the frosting, take another bowl, add butter and five cups of powdered sugar and start mixing it, beat it up at regular speed until it is smoothened out properly.
- Once done, add the remaining powdered sugar, milk, salt and food colouring into the bowl and start beating again; this time, keep on beating until the batter is absolutely fluffy; if the mixture seems too thick or stiff to you, you can add in more milk but very carefully.
- Now, for the tricky part, assembling the cake, first of all, you must make sure that they are flat on top of each other, you can use cake level to make sure that they are in the desired position, or it may ruin the shape of the cake.
- Next, use a spatula to spread the frosting between the layers of cake, do not use too much of it, just enough to enhance the taste of the cake. Now, here is a little cheat tip from my side, before you start frosting the cake, take three plastic straws and cut them just a little taller than your cake and then place them in a triangular shape in the cake. This way, the cake will stay rigid while you are frosting but do remember to remove them after you are done and frost on top of them.
- Now decide where you want the monster’s mouth, on the side or on the top of the cake, where ever you decide, take a sharp, clean knife and make a swift cut, shaped like a crescent moon, for the top of his mouth. Now, for the remaining lower part of his mouth, make another cut at around forty-five degrees angle, meeting the edges of the first cut and take the cake out.
- Now, take a setting spatula or a scraper and put a thin layer on the outside of the cake and let it set in the freezer for few minutes; after that is done, take the cake and start frosting up as your life depends on it and frost inside the mouth of the monster as well. Do not hold back and cover each and every part of the cake, and again if you have used the straw trick, do not forget to remove them.
- Now, once you are done with frosting, it’s time to garnish the cake. First, take the liquid chocolate and spread it on top of the cake in a way that it looks like it’s dripping from it. Then, set two whole Oreos aside and take the rest of Oreos and chocolate chip cookies and stack them vertically on the side of the cake; once they are neatly decorated, take that two Oreos you set aside open those up and take the side with vanilla cream on them. Take the gems and place them on the cake in a way that they look like monster’s eyes. Your scrumptious, lip-smacking cookie monster cake is now ready!
This cake takes a lot of time and effort that is true; however, once you see the end result, you will feel that all the hard work was worth it. You can bake it whenever you want, but it’s a perfect fit for a kid’s party. It’s okay if the celebration is on short notice; you can easily get this cake at any online bakery and avail for the online cake delivery in Delhi or wherever you want, as the main purpose of a cake is to make people happy.