Papaya is a trendy fruit that is considered the elixir for beauty conscious people. It is a large fruit that is greenish-yellow, sometimes orange on the outside and yellowish-orange on the inside. The pear-shaped fruit has many black seeds in the middle of the fruit. Also known as papaw and pawpaw, this fruit comes from a plant called Carica Papaya. There are as many as 22 types of papaya fruits. It belongs to the family Caricaceae. The tropical fruit is ranked fourth in the production of fruits. It is a trendy fruit that people love to add in their fruit basket. Papaya is a native fruit of America. It is mostly from Mexico and Central America. It is the first tree to have its genome sequenced and produce a transgenic fruit tree. Today papaya is grown all over the world, mostly in India, Brazil, South Asia, and America. It tastes sweet with musky texture and soft, buttery consistency. Christopher Columbus called papaya the fruit of angels. Nutritional value – A raw papaya of 100 g has 43kcal of calories. It contains 10.82g of carbohydrates and fibers, proteins, vitamins, calcium, magnesium, iron, manganese, etc.
- It is eaten raw
- It can be whipped into a juice or a milkshake
- It can be added to fruit salads with a tinge of pepper and salt.
- The unripe fruit is used for cooking curries, stews, and salads.
- Papayas are rich in pectin and hence used to make jellies.
- It is also used to make jams and spreads.
- Papaya is used to prepare sweets and preservatives.
- Even the seeds of papaya are edible. They can be used as an alternative to black pepper.
- Green papaya fruit is rich in papain used for tenderizing meat.
- The fruit and skin of papaya contain several phytochemicals. Thus they are used for medicinal and beauty treatments.
Papaya is a rich source of antioxidants like carotenes, vitamin c, and flavonoids. It also contains vitamin b, pantothenic acid, and folate, along with minerals, copper, potassium, and magnesium. It is also rich in fiber. All these benefit you in the following ways –
- They promote the health of your cardiovascular system.
- Papaya helps in preventing colon cancer.
- The digestive enzyme papain, found in papaya, is used in treating sports injuries, trauma, and allergies.
- Papayas prevent atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease.
- Papayas can lower high cholesterol levels.
- Papaya also has anti-inflammatory effects.
- Papaya helps you maintain a healthy immune system. It can fight recurrent ear infections, cold, and flu.
- It prevents muscular degeneration.
- It gives protection against rheumatoid arthritis.
- Papaya can also prevent prostate cancer.
- Papaya is an excellent cleansing agent. It keeps your skin fresh and reduces the aging of the skin.
- The papaya leaves are the best medication for life-threatening dengue fever.
With so many health and beauty benefits, papaya must be a regular addition to your fruit hamper. Eat papaya and stay healthy and beautiful.
Updated: 4 July 2020