It can occur on the scalp, just like it appears on the face and other parts of the body. This annoying problem can bother several people, both old and young. Many factors contribute to scalp acne, such as hormonal variations (especially during teenage years and at times of menstruation), an unhealthy food, an allergic reaction, poor hygiene, living in humid situations, pollution, exposure to certain chemicals and oils, and mechanical issues like wearing tight headgear or usually scratching your scalp. Stress, tiredness, and depression can also contribute to this problem. Though scalp spots may not be noticeable because locks mostly cover the scalp, it can cause pain and inconvenience, as well as make locks care very difficult. Brushing or combing your locks can become a painful task. Here are some top ways to get rid of scalp acne.
Tea Tree Oil for Scalp Acne
It is an effective remedy for acne and other scalp problem. This essential oil acts as an antibacterial, disinfecting the pores and quickly drying out the acne. It even kills the germs that cause acne and also decreases the redness and itchiness. You can use any of the following remedies:
- Blend 5 drops of tea tree oil in 3 tablespoons of olive or coconut oil.
- Massage this oil on your scalp and wash it off after 2 hours. Repeat once regular.
- Alternatively, use tea tree oil in your daily shampoo (3 drops per ounce of shampoo).
- Then, apply it to wash your hair regularly.
- When applying this remedy, make sure to leave your shampoo in your locks for a couple of minutes before washing it off.
- One more option is to put two drops of tea tree oil onto a moistened cotton swab and dab it gently on the affected part on your scalp.
- Keep it on for a few hours, then wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat two times daily.
- Note: As some people may have an allergic reaction to tea tree oil, it is highly suggested to do a patch test if you are applying it for the first time.
Turmeric for Scalp Acne
It is another excellent natural component with which to cure scalp acne. The ingredient known as curcumin in turmeric comprises potent antiseptic, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric can inhibit the growth of P. acne germs. It is even effective at decreasing pain and preventing acne scars.
- Combine a ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder with the ¼ teaspoon of extra-virgin coconut oil to make a thick paste.
- Use it on the affected areas. Wait 1 hour, then rinse it off with your daily shampoo. Repeat once regular.
- Note: You can also take 450-mg curcumin tablets, two times daily. Always consult a physician before starting any supplement regimen.
Some additional tips
- Use a warm, moist washcloth or compress on the affected part several times a day to relieve discomfort and help the acne drain, if required.
- Avoid shaving your head when suffering from scalp acne. It will increase the danger of infection.
- Do not squeeze or scratch the spots, as it can lead to infection and slow down the healing procedure.
- Drink detox drinks to cleanse your body of toxins and wastes that cause such skin issues.
- Avoid oily, deep-fried, and spicy nutrients.
- Control your constant worry level, as excessive stress can worsen your condition.
- Those having long locks are at a greater danger of scalp acne breakouts, so if you wish, you can select a shorter hairstyle.